Monday, October 1, 2007

Cheap Eats

Life is food or food is life. Is there anything else in which you can indulge all (or most) of your five senses?

Sight - the visual spectacle of a plate of food, the colors contrasts in all its glistening, smoking or steaming glory as it arrives at the table adds to the anticipation of devouring its contents.

Hearing - most food doesn't make a sound, but I do get a little excited when a plate of sizzling beef arrives. Actually, chewing does make a sound (thankfully not heard by others around me), and then I become more aware of my act of eating.

Touch - Whether I'm picking up a fried piece of chicken or eating some lettuce cup with minced chicken or tofu, or even using utensils, once I put any food in my mouth, I am acutely aware of the texture of the food. I love using my hands and the act of putting food to mouth. When I get that first bite of the fried chicken, I get a sense of satisfaction once I tear through the crispy chicken skin and sink my teeth into the warm and succulent meat that oozes with some oil and chicken fat.

Smell
- As the smell of the food wafts into my nostrils, the pungent, sweet or sour smells prepare me for what is to come. Sometimes, I think that I can even smell the spiciness of the Kung Pao Chicken or Jambalaya.

Taste - I love it when something hits my palate all at once. Generally, there are four tastes: sweet, salty, sour and bitter. Thai food, in my experience, has a way of combining most of the tastes (sweet, salty and sour) all at once.

I take no greater pleasure in eating good food, and I especially relish having good food at a good price. We're so busy nowadays to really sit down and savor each morsel that passes our lips. Although fast food does satisfy our need for nourishment and we do need to take advantage of the convenience now and then, what I'm thinking about is our need to really connect with our senses again and start enjoying one of the basics in our daily life.

There are few passions in life - and food is one of mine.

No comments: