Friday, October 26, 2007

La Patisserie

La Patisserie
19758 Stevens Creek Blvd.

Cupertino
, California 95014

408.446.4744
www.lapatisserie.net/

Vitals:
hours: Tues.-Fri. 7am-6:30pm, Sat. 7am-6pm, Sun. 8:30am-1pm


Simply put, this French bakery has delicious desserts that are presented beautifully. It’s tucked away in the Marketplace strip mall, but definitely seek out this gem. The number of cakes, cookies, pastries, tarts, packages of delectable delights is overwhelming, but with a will and a way and a willing stomach, I did somehow find the resolve to try most of the desserts here.

I think that I’ve found the perfect chocolate cake. For a chocoholic, it’s a feat that is hard to meet. Most chocolate cakes are either too sweet and don’t have enough of a chocolate taste or the chocolate is too bitter and doesn’t have enough sweetness and richness. The chocolate truffle torte… my newest obsession, my decadent, rich, gastronomic wonder. This torte is a chocolate cake with a truffle filling and covered in a dark chocolate ganache. Mind you, you have to really really like chocolate to have this cake, especially dark chocolate - it’s just pure, unadulterated chocolate. The chocolate is slightly bittersweet with different layers of spongy but light cake and thick truffle filling. Before, Prolific Oven’s chocolate cake was my favorite, but this one is the new gold standard. I love that you can get an individual portion of this torte or order a larger cake for a larger party.

Other favorites here include the fruit tart, apple tart, cheesecakes, cookies, éclairs…oh, everything that I’ve tried so far has been outstanding. While the crust of the fruit tart can be somewhat hard at times and is not as flaky as I would normally like (the last one that I had was slightly underbaked), it does have a rich buttery taste, the custard is thick, creamy, sweet, but not too sweet and had a slight eggy taste, and the seasonal fruit on top is fresh and glistens with a thin glaze. I can at least justify getting this dessert so that I can meet my fruit quota for the day. Oh, maybe I can throw in getting a bit of calcium from the milk in the custard?

Cheesecakes here are rich and sweet and has a thick custard like taste. While not as soft as cheesecakes at the Cheesecake Factory, they are still a decadent dessert and my body just sings at that first taste.

No comments: