Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pizza Antica

334 Santana Row
San Jose, CA 95128-2031

website

Vitals:
Hours: Sunday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.
Friday and Saturday, 11:30 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.
kid friendly
credit cards accepted

I know, it's been a while, but I've been busy! This is by far my favorite place to eat on Santana Row. If you like thin crust pizza (it's really thin) then this is the place to go. I haven't been disappointed in anything that I've ordered here.

The appetizers and salads are very good. They use seasonal ingredients and the menu changes constantly. I like to start off with the bruschetta ($10.50) or a chopped salad ($9.25).

Now on to the pizza. You can always choose what you want on your pizza, but they have some pretty inventive combinations. We always get a large pizza (from $15.25-$17). My favorite is an oldy but goody, which is margharita pizza (tomato sauce, housemade mozzarella and fresh basil) but when I'm in the mood for some meat, the fennel sausage pizza with portobello mushrooms and roasted onion is also really good. I've also tried the three cheese, shaved broccoli and pancette, which is pretty good.

The portions are on the small side (or maybe I'm just a big eater), but with a little effort my husband and I can polish off a large pizza. Now that we have a small child, we have to contend with sharing. Maybe it's because the pizza has such a thin crust and the toppings are somewhat on the skimpy side, but it doesn't matter because the pizza is just delicious. Everything just has an amazing flavor, even the crust.

The children's menu is pretty limited, with a couple of pasta dishes with a choice of sauce, or a small pizza (generally around $5). Pretty basic but pretty good.

Pasta is also pretty good here. I've tried the basic Spaghettini with Tomato Conserva, Garlic and Basil ($8.95) and it was rich and flavorful. My toddler couldn't inhale enough of it. I think babies are the ultimate critics, if they like it, it's really good and if they don't, they just spit it out.

The wait can get long so go shopping while you're waiting or go early/late.

No comments: