Saturday, September 18, 2010

Curry House

Civic Park Cupertino
10350 S. De Anza Blvd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 517-1440
website


Vitals:
Mon - Thu: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm, 5:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Fri: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm, 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Sat: 11:30 am - 9:30 pm
Sun: 11:30 am - 9:00 pm
kid-friendly
takes credit cards
$$
****

This place doesn't have the best tasting food, the service sometimes leaves something to be desired, and the restaurant decor is a bit sterile, but there is something about this place. I just like the curry. It's like comfort food. The curries are satisfying - they taste good, the portions are large and they just make me feel warm and fuzzy afterwards.

Most of the curry dishes come with a choice of a side salad or soup (miso or corn potage). The corn potage is basically creamed corn - it's ok, but not great. I usually opt for the side salad. The salad is a small with some lettuce, green beans, kidney beans, corn and a slice of carrot and the dressing is good but slightly vinegary.

My new favorite dish here is the Keema Curry Rice ($11.70). It's a ground beef curry with shimeji mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, garlic, red chili peppers and either a soft boiled or hard boiled egg. With the recent salmonella scare, I got it with a hard boiled egg, and it was still good, but I really missed the soft boiled egg. The soft boiled egg is just so yummy and it's so nice and gooey. There's a nice mix of meat, veggies and sauce.

My other favorite is the Stone Grilled Curry Rice with tonkatsu (above - $15.50). I had been coming for about a year before one of the waiters asked me if I wanted him to mix it for me. What? I didn't know that they did this! I was a bit peeved as no one had ever mentioned it to me before! This is one of the reasons why I think service is a bit spotty here. The other curry dishes just seem a bit skimpy to me. A piece of meat, some sauce and rice? I want some veggies as well! The stone is hot when it comes out, and there is your meat of choice, some veggies and an egg (the egg usually cooks in the stone pot). I usually smush the rice against the side so that the rice gets a bit crispy. The combination of a fried crispy tonkatsu on top of curry rice is so good.

Hubby likes the Chicken and Ginger Curry ($11.60). At least I know one thing about this place, and that is all the curries don't all taste the same (a lot them do though), and this one has a distinct taste. It has a more peppery taste and it is definitely more spicy than the rest.

Spaghettis and gratins are ok here, nothing special. I know it's a curry AND spaghetti house, but it's mainly a curry house, and I'm going to stick with the house specialties.

The kids plates are also pretty good ($4.95 or $5.95). There is a choice of either a spaghetti plate, teriyaki chicken or curry rice plate. They all come with some corn potage, french fries and some cantaloupe. The big bonus is the toy that comes with the the kid's meal.

Afterwards, I like going to Red Mango, which is located in the same complex, but around the corner, for some dessert. A nice complement to a filling and good meal.


No comments: